Thursday, October 8, 2009

Where Is Joy?


Waking up this morning, I allowed some negative thoughts to creep into my otherwise focused psyche and I knew I'd better get a grip on these quickly as I also know all too well how their influence will ruin not just my day, but my life.
As I clicked off the alarm clock, I turned and gave an affectionate squeeze to Jack the Corgi who was snoozing, snuggly and warm beside me on the flannel sheets.
Stumbling into the kitchen and dodging the doggie toys on the floor from playtime the night before, I filled the coffee pot, poured the water into the brewer and stood looking out the window waiting for the sky to show what color it decided to be today. Hints of blue were peeking through the yellow leaves on my autumn trees and the day's first spark of optimism washed over me. Relief. I was back on track.
I've been facing some challenges in my life lately with finances and health issues. I know from many years of experience and especially after discovering the laws of attraction, that everything is always going to be fine. Everything is happening at exactly the pace it's supposed to. Nothing that "seems" negative actually is, as these situations are really the Universe moving in it's perfect way, to bring all that I believe is mine to me. There are lessons to be learned along the way. Still...every day I wake up searching for a bit of inspiration to make me a believer once again.
I've read or heard so many times from so many different authors, prophets or friends that no monetary thing brings us joy. Regardless of our circumstance, the true joy is ever present in our hearts and outward appearances cannot affect this if we are truly joyful. Seeing that bit of pale blue sky as the earth rolled around once again to bless me with another day...that is where my joy began today.
As I waited for the coffee to finish brewing and let the aroma fill my senses, I realized that there was joy there also. I thanked the Universe for making me the kind of person who can appreciate that and gave thanks again for having the coffee to brew in the first place. Then the floodgate opened. I thought about the two people who have so graciously employed me, allowing me to work from my home office...each of us having our own dream and each of us helping each other to achieve them. I thought about how miraculous is was for the Universe to have placed in my path... two people who have the same belief system that I do. After a very important lesson on trust, in a short amount of time I was blessed with two people who are incredibly trustworthy. Yes...this was real joy also.
As I sat at my desk and read the morning's emails, sent my responses and sipped my coffee, I heard a "thump" and Jack the Corgi had jumped off the bed and waddled into the office. His little stub of a tail was wagging so enthusiastically that it made his whole hind end sway back and forth. I greeted him with cooing words that a mother greets a toddler with, crawled onto the floor with him and just basked in his love for a little while...loving him right back. I thought about how unconditionally this little creature loves me. No cares about morning breath or if my hair is brushed. He's just downright elated to see me...treating every morning like it was his first day with me. It wasn't the first time I've told myself how like him I strive to be. My heart filled with joy again.
I brushed my teeth and hair and put on my coat and hat. I dressed the Corgi in his halter and leash, grabbed my cane and off we went for our morning stroll. The brisk autumn air filled my lungs and Jack was searching for renegade squirrels in between sniffing the shrubbery. I looked at the fall colors splashing against the now brilliant blue sky and reminded myself of all that is good. It's a daily thing with me. I walk out that door and look around...and I remember how small yet how infinite I am all at the same time. Jack and I walked the long route this morning...the one that lets us peek in between the houses to view the canal. We can hear the ducks and smell the earth and there's no rush to get anywhere imparticular. We're just...being.
As I strolled and he sniffed, once again I thought about all the beauty that exists in my life. Right now. Right this minute. I allowed myself to just live in the "now" being joyful for the love and family I have...the wonderful friends and neighbors I get to share my life with and the truth of the promise. The promise of everything my heart desires being delivered to me as long as I keep believing. ASK....BELIEVE....RECEIVE. That's all I have to keep doing. I've already asked...the Universe knows exactly what I desire. As long as I continue on the path and work toward those goals the best that I can...there's nothing that can stop my good from coming to me...and there's nothing that HAS stopped my good from being here now.
I've never had to look beyond the end of my nose to find the joy. It's here...a faithful sentinel waking with me every morning to remind me that it's always existed. So even if I get up in the morning unsure about what the future might hold, joy gently and lovingly takes me by the shoulders and leads me on it's familiar path...keeping me in the "now" and letting me dream my dreams knowing that they've all just been waiting for me to accept them.

1 comment: